• Question: What is the ESA Science Program?

    Asked by Oliver Mark to Andrea, Charlie 🚀, Col Op, Kirsty, Vinita on 16 Jun 2016.
    • Photo: Kirsty Lindsay

      Kirsty Lindsay answered on 16 Jun 2016:

      I worked on one of the main human spaceflight ones called ELIPS, which stands for the European Life and Physical Sciences programme, but there are others for robotic exploration and earth observation for example.

    • Photo: Andrea Boyd

      Andrea Boyd answered on 16 Jun 2016:

      ESA has an overall science program that all member states participate in and then they have lots of optional programs that your country can choose to do if they want like:
      Human Spaceflight
      Robotics and Exploration
      Earth Observation
      Space Situational Awareness (that’s a posh way of saying looking at spacejunk)
      Launches (rockets)
      Navigation (Galileo – it’s the European GPS)

      You can see all of them here and see what the UK does: http://www.esa.int/ESA_in_your_country/United_Kingdom